Hey, look, I know things are a mess. I took a hiatus from blogging and decided to switch up my design before returning. Please be patient, because if you can wait out the mess it means REGULAR POSTING WILL RETURN SOON! :D

Hooray!

Wednesday, June 3

What? No Parade?

Yesterday we made the long drive (but not as long as this drive) to Lethbridge. I had a late morning appointment with the immigration office. They weren't entirely clear ahead of time about the nature of the appointment. So imagine my surprise when the woman interviewing us casually turned to me and said "As of today you are a permanent resident of Canada."

Oh!

Well, AWESOME!

In 30 days I can expect my PR card which will finally allow me to leave the country and be permitted to enter it again. And I'm done giving them massive amounts of money (yesterday they required another $490). And I'm allowed to get a job or enroll in classes if I so choose (maybe some day, but not anytime soon). And I don't have to worry about losing my Alberta Health Care coverage. So, yeah, kind of a big deal (despite the casual manner in which we were informed).

As soon as we get our massive tax return I will so be on a plane to Ohio because a certain somebody needs to meet Grandma.

post signature

PS: Why in the name of all that is good and sane would a government building not have a single restroom available to the public?

5 Stubborn Stains:

Anonymous said...

So, when are you coming to Utah? ;)

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Hmmm...maybe next summer? I guess it will depend on what's happening school wise and stuff.

Adam said...

* A four storey government building.

Laura said...

I just realized that you're a new PR of Canada. I'm on the same path although I'm still working on my paperwork from the states. My hubby is Canadian and obviously I'm American and we're planning to reside near Vancouver. How long did it take you? I feel like I'm never going to complete it and that we'll never actually live in Canada. Oh, How do you like Canada? Was it a hard adjustment?

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I think the processing times for in Canada and out of Canada applications might be different. We moved to Canada last May and I'll be getting my card any day now. But...we took the longest time getting the paperwork actually filled out and sent in. So it might not have taken quite as long if we had been speedier. Also, DH is Canadian so that may make a difference.

I LOVE Canada! Loooooove it! It hasn't been much of an adjustment. There are some foods I can't get here but other foods I can't get in the states. So it evens out. I envy your plans for the Vancouver area. Ultimately I want to live there or in Ontario (which would be closer to my family in Ohio).

The application prograss is a total pain. But in the end it will feel like nothing more than a bad dream. Hang in there!

Blog content (including digital illustrations, photos, and writing) may not be used without the permission of the blog author.

Disclosure Policy



Honor Roll!

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat
Search & Win
This blog features affiliate Amazon links when possible. By making your Amazon purchases via Domestic Dork you help support this blog.

Sponsors

Use code "kids2010" to save 40%! Awesome!


Photobucket
Photobucket


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation in FL Florida Treatment Centers
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Follow

Blogroll

Photobucket


Photobucket

Search