Hey, look, I know things are a mess. I took a hiatus from blogging and decided to switch up my design before returning. Please be patient, because if you can wait out the mess it means REGULAR POSTING WILL RETURN SOON! :D

Hooray!

Wednesday, June 17

Improvise

By virtue of being “poor”* sometimes I am a very cheap frugal person. So, rather than spend $200+ on a playpen I opted for this used crib for $50 (yes, it meets safety guidelines). Since it’s not for sleeping I snagged a crib bumper for $8 to prevent little chubby legs from getting stuck between bars (though I have no personal knowledge of how much such a tragedy would make Lucy cry…nope, none at all).

tee hee 025 tee hee 028

Lucy digs it (when she’s not desperate to be held). She likes to peek over the top of the bumper to watch what we’re doing and to play peek-a-boo.

We dig it because though Lucy isn’t crawling yet but she’s definitely mobile enough that she needs to be contained from time to time. And our family room looks a lot less cluttered without her toys and play mat all over the floor.


Remember how I had leftovers of those art cards? Well, now I’ve found a use for them. Art cards + 3M hooks + clips = instant baby art gallery!

snapshots 005

tee hee 006

Of course, I could have saved even more money if I stuck with this improvised playpen (Girla approved)!

What things have you improvised when you were short on cash or time? Tell me about it in the comments!

siggy







*That’s the life of a student (or in this case, the life of the family of a student)!

11 Stubborn Stains:

Samantha said...

hmm thats interesting. I think I would rather have a few toys in my living room than a crib! :) Just me though... good for you for saving some serious cash!


We have those art cards too and Lucas loves them! they're in his crib and he looks at them at night.

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Well, it's not the ideal look, but having everything contained instead of spread across the floor makes things feel roomier.

Brandy@YDK said...

Grayson could just use his regular crib to play in since he doesn't sleep there. I'm all about saving the dollars. Consignment/thrift stores are my BFF.

Crystal HW said...

hey that works great! I have used diaper boxes to help sort Samantha's toys. She likes it because then her stuff has a place. I like it because they are small enough that they do not take up a bunch of space.

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Those boxes are pretty sturdy too, aren't they?

Turtle said...

Just stopping by from SITS and love your blog! I don't have kids, so I tend to not relate to blogs that are mommy focused, but I love your writing style and think I could actually pick up a few great tips!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Glad you like it! I aim to please! ;)

Sierra said...

Good way to save! To answer your question, Boba is a tea drink that has tiny circles called Boba, that mainly consist of an Asian root or sugar. It tastes similar to a gummy bear! Yummy! Have a super day.

Lisa Best said...

I am all about "cheap finds"!

Fo me... I enjoy scrapbooking so I keep old holiday cards, books, buttons, shoelaces, bottlecaps, charms....everyhing! Thats how I save the big bucks when i'm ready to scrap!

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

Scrapbooking is not a cheap hobby. So that is super smart! I especially like the idea of using old greeting cards. I've used Christmas cards to make tree ornaments but never even thought to use them in that way. Very clever!

Natalie G. said...

We bought Julia's car seat from Kid to Kid for $25. (It also meet the standards). Then we went back to buy a stroller and we got hooked up with the matching stroller for another $25. That saved a lot of money. I haven't bought a crib yet. We are using a playyard. If I can find a good used one when I go back to Utah, I'll do that.

Blog content (including digital illustrations, photos, and writing) may not be used without the permission of the blog author.

Disclosure Policy



Honor Roll!

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat
Search & Win
This blog features affiliate Amazon links when possible. By making your Amazon purchases via Domestic Dork you help support this blog.

Sponsors

Use code "kids2010" to save 40%! Awesome!


Photobucket
Photobucket


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation in FL Florida Treatment Centers
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Follow

Blogroll

Photobucket


Photobucket

Search