Hey, look, I know things are a mess. I took a hiatus from blogging and decided to switch up my design before returning. Please be patient, because if you can wait out the mess it means REGULAR POSTING WILL RETURN SOON! :D

Hooray!

Thursday, September 18

Baby Showers

Maybe I've just got messed up priorities but I have been really, really depressed about the fact that I wasn't going to be getting a baby shower. When I got hitched none of my friends offered to throw me a bridal shower and it hurt, real bad.* I told Adam over and over again that I'd just better get a baby shower, it would all be OK if I got a baby shower someday. Then, shortly after getting pregnant we decided to move to not only a different town...but a different country. Good-bye all of my friends. Good-bye chances of having a baby shower.

It's not about the presents that come with a shower (though hey, who doesn't like getting stuff, especially of the small and cute variety?). It was about knowing someone was excited for me. It was about knowing someone cared enough to go to the effort of hosting a party to celebrate such a huge, awesome, momentous occasion. I had hoped that I would make a bunch of new friends right away and someone would offer. But I haven't made a lot of friends yet. And the last few weeks I was feeling especially glum about the whole thing. One of those baby development calendars oh-so-helpfully pointed out a week or two ago that if I was having a shower someone should have offered by now. I was convinced I was going to relive the sadness I felt when none of my friends offered to throw a bridal shower for me.

But today one of my visiting teachers offered to throw me a shower!

Have you ever felt so much joy you felt like doing a happy dance? Because that's how I'm feeling! I went from feeling glum and convinced I would never have a shower (after all, most people don't have one for any baby other than the first and it didn't look like I was getting on for this baby) to feeling ecstatic and excited and thrilled! So thank you, thank you, thank you to Mandi, my visiting teacher!

Now, let's just hope there isn't a cake like this, or this, or this, or this, or this.

PS- Why are they called "Baby Showers?" And does that make anyone else think of the song "It's Raining Men" by The Weather Girls?

PPS- Apparently they're called "showers" because that's what bridal showers are called. And bridal showers are called showers because of "the custom in Victorian times for the presents to be put inside a parasol, which when opened would "shower" the bride-to-be with gifts." So, apparently I'm wrong and it is all about the presents, or, at least, was to somebody at some point.

*After being married for quite some time my best friend surprised me be throwing a belated "shower party thing" to make up for never having gotten one. It's one of the nicest things anybody has ever done for me. Please note that I had not yet met this friend when Adam and I got married. So no-one should think she's to blame for not having a wedding shower in the first place.

2 Stubborn Stains:

JWalburger said...

Sounds like Mandi beat me to the punch. I had the thought this morning, but she had it before me. Just do not feel like you have no friends here, k. :)

Holly @ Domestic Dork said...

I just didn't expect an offer after only knowing people for such a short time. But thanks for setting me straight. :)

Blog content (including digital illustrations, photos, and writing) may not be used without the permission of the blog author.

Disclosure Policy



Honor Roll!

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat
Search & Win
This blog features affiliate Amazon links when possible. By making your Amazon purchases via Domestic Dork you help support this blog.

Sponsors

Use code "kids2010" to save 40%! Awesome!


Photobucket
Photobucket


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation in FL Florida Treatment Centers
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Follow

Blogroll

Photobucket


Photobucket

Search