Hey, look, I know things are a mess. I took a hiatus from blogging and decided to switch up my design before returning. Please be patient, because if you can wait out the mess it means REGULAR POSTING WILL RETURN SOON! :D

Hooray!

Friday, June 6

FYI

I thought it might be a good idea to do a post answering some common questions (many of which we've already been getting). I certainly don't mind answering them when asked but I figured this would be easier.

When did we find out we were pregnant?
April 12. Though it took a little while to convince Adam it was true. He didn't know that it doesn't matter how faint the line on the pregnancy test is, if it's there then it's a positive! Another funny tidbit: on April Fool's Day I had told Adam I was pregnant as a little prank. It would have been far too soon for me to have been able to know but he fell for it for just a second. Turns out I really was!

What are we doing as far as medical care goes?
My first appointment was last week. They did all the basics (medical history, exam, drew blood, etc.). I'm going to the Maternity Clinic at the Medicine Hat Hospital since we're new in town and don't already have a family doctor. Around here you only see an OB if there's something wrong or you're high-risk (which is how it should be). We have another appointment on June 24th and are looking forward to hearing the heart beat. We'll be able to tour the labor and delivery ward later, probably during the 3rd trimester.

How far along am I?
11 weeks and 2 days today. The "baby tickers" I've added to the blog and my Facebook profile will keep you up to date.

Are we going to find out the baby's gender ahead of time?
Yes! Yes! Yes! ADHD and patience do not go hand in hand. I can't handle that kind of suspense! We are scheduled for an ultrasound in July. We will let everybody else know what we're having too (none of that keeping it to ourselves stuff).

Have we picked out any names?
Yes, only about a year and a half ago! Ha ha! If it's a boy he'll be Harrison Keith. If it's a girl it will either be Eleanor Darcie or Lucy Noelle. Keith is my grandfather's name. Darcie is my mother's name. And the other names are just names we like. Of course, we reserve the right the change our minds if the baby comes and the names just don't suit him or her.

Am I going to get an epidural?
No, no, no! The hospital here doesn't even offer them and if they did I'd decline. Epidurals tend to cause more problems than they solve. They often slow down labor, increase the chances of medical interventions (i.e. forceps delivery), and increase the risk of c-section. And despite the growing trend of moms electing to have c-sections they are not the safest way to deliver a baby. C-section doubles a mother's mortality risk. They are emergency procedures and I hope to avoid an emergency at all costs. Pain medications also interfere with the establishment of a strong breastfeeding relationship. Plus if you have an epidural you're stuck in the supine position which is the worst possible position for giving birth. I'd much rather be able to get up, walk around, and use more natural methods of pain control. Women were designed to give birth. I for one am looking forward to doing it "au natural." E-mail me if you'd like to read a good article about epidurals.

Am I going to breastfeed?
You bet! The list of reasons mother's milk is best (for baby AND for mom) is a mile long (again, e-mail me for some FASCINATING reading on the subject) or visit ProMoM or kellymom!
The American Academy of Pediatrics says:
"Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child... Increased duration of breastfeeding confers significant health and developmental benefits for the child and the mother... There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer."
And the American Academy of Family Physicians says:
"Breastfeeding beyond the first year offers considerable benefits to both mother and child, and should continue as long as mutually desired." And "If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned."
(emphasis mine)
The World Health Organization recommends nursing continue to 2 years of age and beyond.

Am I taking care of myself?
You bet! I'm taking prenatal vitamins and an Omega-3 supplement. I've always been concerned about good nutrition. We love veggies, whole grains, fresh fruits, etc. and I try to keep up to date on health and wellness information. The first trimester I was very tired so I didn't eat as well as I usually do (which is actually a very common experience for pregnant mothers). But I'm starting to get my energy and appetite back.

Are we hoping for a boy or a girl?
Honestly, we will truly be thrilled with either! If you had asked me two months ago I might have said "girl." Before that I might have said "boy." But right now I'm excited for either! I'll count myself blessed as long as the baby's not a hermaphrodite (I kid you not...I had a dream it was)!

Did I have bad morning sickness?
Nope! Not at all! I had a slightly upset stomach every once in a while but that was it. I think I have my mother to thank for that...she must of given me whatever genes she had. ;)

Have I been having any weird cravings?
Not lately...for a few weeks I craved potatoes; french fries, mashed potatoes, hash browns, baked potatoes, you name it. That passed. I did have a serious aversion to cooked tomato for a while, could not stand the smell! And I haven't been nearly as interested in chocolate as I typically am. The weirdest thing I've had so far is probably a pickle with cream cheese (heard it mentioned somewhere and thought it sounded amazing...it was okay).

If you have any other questions feel free to call, e-mail, or leave a comment on the blog. I'll be doing my best to keep everyone updated but for now there isn't much to tell. It's just a matter of waiting...waiting until the next appointment to hear the heartbeat, waiting until July for an ultrasound, waiting until December for the baby! I wonder if the Stork or Santa will be delivering him/her?

1 Stubborn Stains:

Anonymous said...

I clicked on your name in your MDC signature. Great post! Brings back memories of when I was writing similar things. :) Enjoy your pregnancy!

Blog content (including digital illustrations, photos, and writing) may not be used without the permission of the blog author.

Disclosure Policy



Honor Roll!

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat
Search & Win
This blog features affiliate Amazon links when possible. By making your Amazon purchases via Domestic Dork you help support this blog.

Sponsors

Use code "kids2010" to save 40%! Awesome!


Photobucket
Photobucket


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation in FL Florida Treatment Centers
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Follow

Blogroll

Photobucket


Photobucket

Search