Hey, look, I know things are a mess. I took a hiatus from blogging and decided to switch up my design before returning. Please be patient, because if you can wait out the mess it means REGULAR POSTING WILL RETURN SOON! :D

Hooray!

Monday, April 19

Organizing Your Daughter’s Massive Collection of Hair Clips

I like easy crafts ya’ll. And this was easy.
hair clip bow storage organize craft
Ha-ha! Did I break your scroll wheel? Sorry ‘bout that.
Anyhow, this is an easy-peasy project. You can get all the supplies at your local craft store. You’ll need:
  • a wooden letter or plaque or a picture frame!
  • acrylic paint {it doesn’t need to be anything fancy, just pick whatever color(s) you like} and a paintbrush
  • ribbon
  • a wooden shape {like these- your craft store probably has a whole aisle of shapes to choose from, some unfinished and some painted}
  • felt {optional}
  • hot glue gun and hot glue sticks
Once you’ve gathered your supplies here’s what you need to do:
  1. Cut your ribbon to your desired length. I chose a rainbow ribbon because when Lucy has her own room it’s going to be a “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds” theme and I wanted to carry the sky motif over to her hair clip organizer.
  2. Paint your wooden letter your desired color. Alternatively you could decoupage it with pretty scrapbook paper or fabric. Let it dry.
  3. Prepare your wooden shape. This will serve as the weight for the ribbon. If it’s unfinished, paint it. If you’d like to cover it with felt, like I did you’ll need to follow the extra steps listed below.
  4. Attach the ribbon to both the letter and the wood weight with hot glue.
  5. Hang and enjoy! :)
Extra Instructions for Using Felt:
  • cut two rectangles of felt in your desired color that are big enough to cover the wooden weight with room to spare
  • attach the ribbon the the weight with hot glue
  • place the weight in between the two felt pieces and neatly hand stitch them together following the outline of your wood shape
  • trim the excess so it matches the outline you have stitched
  • continue to step 4 as listed above
That’s all there is to it. Like I said, easy-peasy!
It’s pretty easy to make your own hair clips too! I made the Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patty’s Day, and “hello” clippies in the picture. The rest were purchased at the dollar store, the local farmers’ market, or on Etsy {the top four flower clips were made by one of my sisters-in-law and her oldest daughter}. You can use grippy shelf liner on clips to help them stay in. And, just a hint, if your kiddo has fine, thin hair like Lucy you can use a thin, stretchy, fabric headband {like these or check the dollar store for something that’ll work}. You can clip alligator style hair clips to the headband {or the stretchy crochet hats} instead of to hair.
Lucy’s still not great at wearing hair clips or headbands. She’s so interested in looking at what I’ve just put on her head that she reaches right up and pulls them off. But at least she’s past the “you-are-a-horrible-mother-how-could-you-do-this-to-me-I-hate-headbands-waaaaaaaaaaah! stage.”
Does your daughter wear hear clips? Have you amassed a massive collection of them? Have you made your own organizer? Tell me about it in the comments.
siggy

7 Stubborn Stains:

Grey-Eyed Mom said...

Neat idea! Unfortunately I have boys, so I can't steal it.

Unknown said...

What a cute idea! It came out so well!

Courtney said...

My daughter's hair clips are in a gallon-size Ziploc bag. I am 1. not creative and 2. bad about putting things away. BUT- this is cute and I just might give it a shot!!

KK said...

Kinda glad I don't have to worry about that right now!

Anonymous said...

I am making this. Avery's bows and clips are EVERYWHERE and it's out of control. It looks so cute!

imemary said...

I have tons of hair clips for Izzy but ha! I secretly bought them for ME!

Rae Ann said...

I made a similar bow holder. The top part was a fun foam flower glued onto a wooden ruler. I have 4 ribbons hanging down because our bow collection is out. of. control. The end product is totally cute and user friendly.

Blog content (including digital illustrations, photos, and writing) may not be used without the permission of the blog author.

Disclosure Policy



Honor Roll!

Simple Meal Planning - Plan to Eat
Search & Win
This blog features affiliate Amazon links when possible. By making your Amazon purchases via Domestic Dork you help support this blog.

Sponsors

Use code "kids2010" to save 40%! Awesome!


Photobucket
Photobucket


Alcohol & Drug Rehabilitation in FL Florida Treatment Centers
Powered by Blogger.

Popular Posts

Follow

Blogroll

Photobucket


Photobucket

Search